The Ken Stradling Collection
Design Study Centre
48 Park Row, Bristol BS1 5LH, UK
Gallery Opening Hours
Wednesday 11.00am – 4.00pm
Saturday (during exhibitions)
11.00am – 4.00pm
Contact us to arrange visits
or tours at other times.
Registered Charity no. 1117689
In response to the Coronavirus epidemic and in line with other museums and galleries, the Collection is closed until further notice.
In 1948 Ken Stradling joined the Bristol Guild of Applied Arts and set out to find and to sell new and innovative furnishings and objects for West Country homes. At the same time, and incidental to his growing reputation as a patron of contemporary design, Ken began his own, very personal collection of 20th and 21st-century objects including furniture, glass and especially ceramics bringing together industrial products with others by studio craftspeople and designer-makers.
In keeping with Ken’s aim to promote good design, the Collection (now managed by the Ken Stradling Trust) is accessible to the public at 48, Park Row. On the ground floor is the Stradling Gallery which hosts a regular programme of design-related exhibitions. It is open to the public on Wednesdays and on Saturdays during shows. Guided visits to see more of the Collection can be arranged by appointment (see Visit page). 48 Park Row is also home to the Design Study Centre. This provides access to objects and documentary material for to students, practitioners and anyone with an interest in design, and has links to universities, art colleges and schools.
You can view 60 selected pieces from the Collection on this website. Our blog features elements of the Collection as well as local design subjects. In addition it houses a range of resources relating to the connections between the Bauhaus and Bristol – Ken Stradling Collection blog